This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Providence, Pokemon, and a PD James Paperback

I try to share something with merit when I write, even if the message is simple. You will have to dig deep to find any kind of jewel or nugget in this post.
Honestly, I think people are just looking to escape the alarming things going on the in the world by creating a maze of traffic stops in order to gain points while playing an online Pokemon game. After delivering some papers to Tommy at work (he is a pastor), I noticed two teenage boys walking through the pasture behind our church.  They were meandering around as if they had lost something.
We have since discovered that our church property is a Pokemon site, and people come and go all day as they register on their phones that they visited our field behind the parking lot. In one day, forty cars came and went.
Last Wednesday night after prayer meeting, we were standing outside as cars drove in and out.  It occurred to us that this was an opportunity.  We could invite them to church and hand out waters during the day.  Sometimes we must go to the people, and sometimes the Lord brings them to us...even through a ridiculous creature like Pokemon.
One policeman who attends our church said that he pulled over a woman at 2am because she was suspiciously parked in Deer Park.  Her response was that her daughter had more points than she did in Pokemon and so she was driving around to the sites designated online in the middle of the night in order to win.  I'm telling you...people are desperate for something meaningful in their lives. I can only shake my head and move on to my own outlet for entertainment.
My son, Luke lives in Utah and before that, he was in Iowa. We have enjoyed vacationing wherever he and his family have lived.  He is a music professor and a mystery lover like his mother. (I am a mystery lover, not a music professor.) Over the past five years or so, whenever we plan a visit, we decide on a mystery to read, but we do not read the last chapter.  We state our cases for who we think the villain is and then we finish the book together after we arrive.  We picked a PD James book this time.  She was an English author and some of her books have been made into BBC television series.  We used to read Agatha Christie, but in truth I have read all of her books and seen the movies made from them, so we needed to find someone new.. We chose PD James after researching her style and found that she was less gruesome than some of the newer writers. Still, she has surprised us a little in that regard and I have slept with the nightlight on more than a few times.
Luke and I have shared our thoughts on 'whodunnit', though both our theories have holes in them. His wife, YuJueng has not read to the stopping point, but it is likely that she will add a third hypothesis to our two.
Summer is quickly coming to an end as school supplies have already shown up on the store shelves. Tax-free weekend is just within reach and soon the idle days of Pokemon and paperbacks will cease. Until they do, let's take any opportunity the Lord brings our way to turn silly games into life changing moments.  Happy Summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment