This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, April 25, 2016

What's Your Pleasure?

Tommy loves the movie Chariots of Fire and we've seen it many times.  It's the inspirational story of Eric Liddell, who ran in the Olympics of 1924 and then spent the rest of his short life as a missionary to China.  He died at the age of 43 in the Weihsien Internmenet Camp, ministering to prisoners. The movie, however only carries you as far as the Olympic games.
There is a scene in which Eric's sister Jenny urges him not to run. but to return to China and the work that awaits him.  He explains his reason for wanting to race with this comment:
"The Lord made me fast and when I run, I feel His pleasure."

Tommy mentioned that quote again this Sunday and it made me think. It is easy for us to fall into the trap of thinking that we must be doing noble things in order to get God's approval. It doesn't work that way.  We will never get His approval from just doing good things.
God grants us repentance.  It's a gift.  He first loved me. He pursued me, not because of any good I have done or ever will do.  It is all by His grace and mercy that I received Christ as Savior. He drew me and I responded and had He not drawn me, I would never have found Him.
Romans 3:9-12  "What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under the power of sin, as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one." 
John 6:44   No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.  I am a sheep following my Master.  Yes, rebellion creeps in at times, but He is faithful to chasten me because again...He loves me - stubborn, willful, lazy me!
So, what does scripture say about pleasing God? It pleased the Father to crucify His Son on our account.
Isaiah 53:10-11  Yet it was the will of the LORD to crush him; he has put him to grief; when his soul makes an offering for sin, he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days; the will of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities. 
That word "will" means 'to delight in.'  God delighted in crushing Christ.  It was part of a greater plan  - one that would satisfy for all time the need for a blood sacrifice.  So yes, the fulfillment of Jesus' death pleased God..because He loved you and me.  If God gave His Son to die, His perfect Son - on my behalf, then what could I possibly offer Him but all I have? THAT is what pleases God - a yielded heart.
Therefore when I do laundry and change sheets, when I work in the yard or take a walk in the park, when I hold Tommy's hand and stand beside him singing in church, when I deliver meals, buy groceries, and make needed phone calls - in other words - when I do the next thing, I should feel His pleasure. We aren't humanly wired to think this way, but it is true.
As we traveled home that day, we had this conversation:
"God made me able to write, and when I write, I feel His pleasure. Is that wrong?" (I often question my own conclusions.)
"No," he said. "Everyone needs to know what their strengths are, along with their gifts and do them to the best of their abilities and feel His pleasure."
So, what's your pleasure? What do you enjoy doing? Are you able to feel His pleasure as you go through your day? God made us with talents, gifts, and strengths.  Do whatever comes next on your list and do it all for the glory of God. That is all He wants - you and I bringing Him glory in everything.
Know that you are made for His pleasure. You bring God pleasure - all by yourself as you love Him. You don't have to do anything else. Just be you becoming Christ. Embrace the skills He has given you; be it listening, gardening, running, cooking, making music, teaching, and oh, yes - writing!
Philippians 2:12-13  Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. 
God made me to love writing. If that really pleases Him, then it pleases me even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment