This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

What Are You Doing?



"So, what you are doing?" The person on the other end of the phone asked me.  I did not answer "nothing" because I am seldom doing nothing and neither are you.  No one does nothing, though at times I have been guilty of 'idle' worship.
I am a list checker and maybe a small goal maker...meaning my goals are small - I'm not a small person making goals. A bit of humor.
It gives me a certain amount of pleasure to get things done. I used to be more of a dreamer than I am now. Reality stares me in the face and shouts "live in the moment!" because that is all anybody has...this moment.  Still, the months and years ahead of me will matter if they arrive as scheduled, so perhaps some sort of plan would be nice.
At this very moment, my goal is to get in that recliner and shut my eyes for a minute, but here I sit at my computer writing about my recliner.  Actually, I have been working on this post for days - trying to make sense of my words because I think what we do and plan to do matters ALOT.
Is my list too small or too big?  Is it just enough or unattainable?  If you can't reach your goals, then why make them? If brushing your teeth or reroofing your house alone are on your list, well...then you miss the point. When our goals are just out of reach, we might strive a little bit harder to make them, increasing our capabilities.  If our plans are easily met, we are less likely to ask God for His help in doing the impossible.
I want to do the impossible.  When my body says, "stop," I can still do one more thing.  When my nerves are fried, my Peace Giver reminds me to rest in Him.  When my plans fail miserably, I remember that man makes his plans, but the Lord directs his steps, and His way is always best for me.
As Believers, we are never to be idle as we are called to pray, serve, plan and rest.  Yes, rest.
God put Paul in prison so he could write and rest, but Paul was never idle.  He sang, witnessed, and wrote letters of divinely inspired Scripture. His mind was on doing God's will.
So, fellow sojouners, planners, and task makers....press on.  It matters what you do, so do it well.





No comments:

Post a Comment