This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

(2) Every Garment Rolled in Blood

Isaiah 9:3-5  You have multiplied the nation; you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as they are glad when they divide the spoil. For the yoke of his burden, and the staff for his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, you have broken as on the day of Midian. For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult and every garment rolled in blood will be burned as fuel for the fire. 
I have read four commentaries on this passage, and none of them agree with each other. Frustrating. When I asked Tommy about it, he said, "That tells you it is a hard passage to understand."  Sometimes truth is not helpful at all.  On the plus side, I guess I can't go wrong picking one of four and laying any blame for error on him. (See, that's how I operate.)
After reading John MacArthur, Derek Thomas, Albert Barnes, and Ray Ortlund Jr, I have chosen the latter because I like what he said best.  (Cuz again, that's how us girls operate.)  I choose not to expound on the other three and their logic (partly because I would say it wrong and get sued, and partly because that is not what this post is about.) I digress.
God is the "you" in the above verses.  'True liberation comes from beyond ourselves. Our Liberator will not only defeat all the forces of evil, but also put a final end to conflict itself. Every mechanism for tyrannical rule will go into the bonfire of God's grace.  The victory is not our accomplishment.  All we do is celebrate.' (paraphrased)
God gave Abraham many descendants.
God gave the Israelites victory in battle, when they obeyed Him.
Gideon broke the might of the Midianites as an unlikely hero with only 300 men.
God will forever conquer sin with His grace - for all time.
But now, back in Isaiah, he will prophesy of a Peacemaker.
There is a Liberator to come.  Who will He be?  How will He make His glorious appearance in a needy world?  Wait and see....

No comments:

Post a Comment