This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Paper Chains and Prejudices

This week in Sunday School, our lesson was about the Roman centurion who approached Jesus on behalf of his paralyzed servant.  Jesus offered to go to the soldier's house. The Jews considered Gentiles unclean and visiting the home of a Roman was taboo.
We talked about what it meant to be prejudiced against another person and then I asked my class to look around the room at each boy and girl and ask themselves if there was anyone in the room that they did not like.  One boy asked me if he could pick two.  I had to laugh.  I said yes, but not to say any names out loud.
The Jews were very prejudiced against Gentiles as far as mingling and socializing. Laws were to be followed, customs kept, and sacrifices made to atone for sins committed.  If Christ had not come to be the final sacrificial Lamb and break down all racial barriers, none of us could know Him as Savior.
I gave each child a strip of colored paper and asked them to write his/her name on it and decorate it as best they could.  Afterwards, I asked them to line up against the wall.  It was interesting to note how some were particular as to where they stood.  When I told them to link arms, the boys were less resistant than the girls.
Next, I had each bring their paper link to Hannah.  We explained that they could not choose whose name they would be linked to.  Again, some said they did not care and I have a few boys who wanted to be linked with Mrs. June. (I have to say this made me smile.)
At the end of our class time I explained that it was fine to like one person over another, but it was never okay to be rude or unkind.  One girl wanted to know who she was next to on the chain.  I read the names to her and said, "You are hanging around with two very cool people."  She smiled.
We start young making choices and judgments regarding others.  If we could only remember that others will regard us as we regard them.
I don't know why this post seemed important to write.  Centuries have passed and we still struggle with the same issues.  When we stand before the Lord one day, I believe we will be surprised at those around us.  My plan is to make sure my walk matches my talk so that I might see Christ...and maybe I will be standing next to you.
1 John 3:23-24  And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us.  
Whoever keeps his commandments abides in him, and he in them. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit whom he has given us. 
Hebrews 3:14-15  For we share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end.
15 As it is said, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion." 

No comments:

Post a Comment