This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Our Friend, George



Tommy and I have a friend named George.  He is a longtime-never-been-married bachelor and seems happy to be so.  He is also a deacon in our church.  He prepares the Lord's Supper for us each month on the first Sunday.
George knows I love New England.  Tommy and I first went there on our 25th anniversary.  He told me he would take me anywhere I wanted to go and I wisely chose Maine.  If you have never been in the Fall...go.
Anyway, George is from New Hampshire and subscribes to a magazine called "Yankee."  He saves his copies for me.  This week he gave me two and as I thumbed through them, gathering recipes and reading articles about a faraway land called New England, I thanked the Lord for a George like him in my life.
He loves garage sales and I have several silver candleholders thanks to him.  He called us on Wednesday of this week to tell us to go outside and look at the rainbow over Deer Park.  I would have missed that if it weren't for George.  He is also a Fire Marshall and informs us of all things 'Deer Park.'  I knew there would be a Baskin Robbins here before anyone else knew.  Not that that is important, but hey...it's my favorite.
A few years ago, George broke his leg riding a motorcycle.  He was on crutches for months.  During that time, I did his shopping which included bananas and a mango drink.  When Deer Park made everyone evacuate because of Hurricane Rita - which never came here - we picked up George in his cast, and several others and headed to my friend's house in Tomball.  I don't know exactly how many we cared for while we were there, but George was one of them and we remember how much fun we all had escaping Rita.
During Hurricane Ike, George brought us ice every day, along with water and those army meals the city handed out.  My mom and brother were staying with us as power was out everywhere....but we had George.
I think George is in his seventies now.  He is a faithful church member and example of a worker bee.  He loves the most misbehaved children in the church.  Someone needs to...besides me, of course.
We are thankful for George and others like him who make life interesting, pleasant, and easier in the hard times.  May the Lord bless them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment