This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Friday, June 7, 2013

Sylvan Beach and Morgan's Point

This evening Tommy and I went down to Sylvan Beach in LaPorte.  I know I have written about it perhaps more than once, but I am seldom there in the evening.  There is a pier that is lit at night for the fishermen.  People strolled down the sidewalk by the very calm waters.  My little phone camera took some great pictures and I just wanted to share.





 Then we took a drive down Park Street to Morgan's Point.  It is like driving along the Hamptons.  I did not get pictures of the houses, but maybe next time.  It is an amazing little piece of history along a tiny peninsula in the middle of the ship channel. Huge old houses and mansions with servants quarters out by the street bring to mind stories you may have read in a book.  It is all quaint now and so very lovely.
We had friends that lived there years ago and while the back of their big home faces the streetside, the front faces the bay.  It is stately and two stories high, except for a hidden staircase that leads to a third story consisting of two rooms...a reading room and a library of very old books.  The window in the reading room  opens out to a little landing with just enough room for someone to sit.  Ruthie had placed a green velvet covered lounge chair in the middle of the room - perfect for browsing through dusty books and/or snoozing.  Wish I had a picture, but George and Ruthie are long gone and new owners have redone everything, keeping the charm, but adding a facelift.
 All of this beauty is within twenty minutes of my house.  Sigh.







The Sterling Mansion where Governor Ross Sterling lived.  At one time it was called the Sterling Osborne Mansion.  I could not get a picture of all of it.  Huge.



No comments:

Post a Comment