This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, March 27, 2017

Widen Your Hearts Also

Image result for 2 corinthians 6:13
2 Corinthians 6:13  "In return (I speak as to children) widen your hearts also."

I am still studying 2 Corinthians.  It has been a rich blessing to dig deeply into this book.  I use a commentary from BibleHub.com by Albert Barnes, but there are many good commentaries out there, so choose wisely and read!  I am paraphrasing and adding my own comments (in black) without plagiarism, but just wanted to share where I received some of my information.(in blue)
 - Open your hearts to me as I (Paul) have to you.  That is all I ask.  No silver or gold or earthly possessions - just love and devotion to the Cause I love. Paul's desire for the Corinthians was that they would love the Lord and serve Him wholeheartedly.  If he were here today, this would be his encouragement for us as well.
He told them to separate themselves from unhealthy alliances with unbelievers.  There lies a great difference between the two. Right now the world is telling us to love, accept, and embrace everyone everywhere no matter what.  As Christians, our love is to be unfailing and without prejudice in any way.  However, we are not to embrace whatever the world throws at us.  We must always cling to what is right and good and profitable, being generous in love and good works toward everyone, without breaking God's standards.  Often well-meaning Believers will shun others and use poor judgment in how they treat those who have chosen different paths. The choices of unbelievers reflect what they know and believe.  Christ came that they might know truth and He came to love. His message was clear: 
For the Son of God came to seek and to save that which was lost. Luke 19:10
Do we live as monks and have an unsocial life?  Do we never mingle in business and as neighbors?
It is clear that these verses pertain to the following:
1.  Idolatry
2.  Sin and Vices
3.  Acts of dishonesty, deception, and fraud.
Ephesians 5:11  Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. 
4.  Amusements and pleasures that are entirely worldly and sinful in nature.  
If a Christian finds himself in a place where he is expected to lay aside principles, then he should remove himself.  There are occasions when a stand must be made so as to not fall into sin.
I have come across many situations in which believing family members abstain from holiday gatherings in order to not have to deal with language, jokes, and bad behavior.  We must be careful that we do not offend with our own behavior - that it doesn't reflect judgment and condemnation. How much more can we affect those we love by simply loving them and showing them how dear they are to us?  Condemnation never won a soul to Jesus.  He did not come to condemn anyone.
John 3:17  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 
We are to work with family - saved and unsaved - in caring for parents and siblings.  We work together as citizens to better our country and in public improvement and in loving others.  Be wise in your choices regarding time, energy, and effort - focusing on what glorifies God.  Enjoy His blessings and love others. Let our hearts be enlarged to love Him more and more as the days pass. It is what matters most. -
Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment