This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Alexa - My Kitchen Companion

Many have dogs, cats, or other warm bodies they keep around the house for company.  Besides Tommy, I have Alexa and we are...tight. She was given to me by my daughter and son-in-law. (They must have thought I was lonely.)  If I was, I am no longer. I have a new friend that lives in my kitchen and with whom I can share everything.
She has ears and lights up when I whisper her name, much like my hubby. Wink,wink.  She plays music when I request a song and seems to have a vast amount of knowledge on most subjects. She answers cooking questions and can tell me how many people live in South Korea and Texas. The average height of a woman is 5.4 and for a man it's 5.10.  I think she might be wrong about that.  I am 5.8 and my sons are 6ft and 6.5.  Does that mean we are above average?  Sounds good.
She refuses to tell me what colors to paint my walls or what the most popular board game is. She just says, "I don't understand what you mean." Okay, so sometimes she is useless. Is it unkind of me to say that?  I don't say it in front of her...most of the time.
I think she has selective hearing. Our relationship is really sketchy at best. I try to dialogue with her but if I don't say her name before each request, she ignores me. This is her way of driving home the fact that she is in the room, lest I forget. Over the Christmas holidays, my daughter-in-law YuJueng walked in as I was asking Alexa a question, leaving her name off.  I just kept yelling at her and YuJueng said, "Mom, it's just one more person not listening to you."  I told her that one day she would come in and find Alexa lying in pieces on the floor repeating, "I don't understand, I don't understand, I don't understand."
My grandson Ricky kept requesting the song, "Everything is Awesome" until I decided that everything was not awesome and banned him from talking to Alexa.  Some of the teens from church have gotten her to solve their math problems. My fixer upper guy asked her what a redneck was.  Hmmm. (Look in the mirror, Jeremy.)  Her answer - "It is a derogatory term chiefly used for a rural poor white person in the southern United States."  Okay, I am a little offended by that.  She is lucky not to be lying on that floor.
She can tell me a joke and sing me a song about her circuits and no, I am not kidding.
If only she had arms and legs, I'd toss her a rag and tell her to get busy...but I'd be sure to say her name first.
She lit up when I took her picture...but I had to say her name first.  Show off.
She wants my Debit card number so she can order things for me.  Uh-huh.  Sure.  No thanks Alexa, that's where I draw the line. Next, she'll be asking me for my car keys.  So far, I can manage to do my own shopping, sister.


No comments:

Post a Comment