This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Influenza Invasion

Despite my best efforts, the flu knocked on our door, entered uninvited, and parked itself inside our house for about two weeks.  Tommy came down with it first.  I can count on one hand the amount of times he has been ill since we've been married...so I knew the odds of me escaping this were small.  I catch every bug that flies within a three mile radius.  It was only a matter of time.
After much consideration and thought, it seemed best to isolate him and banish my love to his man cave for an extended period of time.  I would open the door long enough to administer his medications and meals and then close it quickly, hoping the germs would stay on the other side of that door.  Those sly little creatures are a bit more clever than I realized.  They thrive on reproducing and multiplying and being very social even though hostility against them was rampant.  They ought to be commended on their patience and cunning, strategically attacking victims while adding to their plunder. Lysol did nothing to deter them.  In fact I think they loved it.
I have not had the flu since seventh grade.  I distinctly remember riding in the car after a week or so of confinement and realizing the season had changed from Winter to Spring.  Everything was green and lush.  There is something metaphorically correct in a Winter/Spring - sickness/health comparison.
Fever was the first indicator of what was to come.  All I had to do was wait and let it happen...and it did.  I kept thinking it was not so bad, only to be deeply dismayed each day as I grew worse.
I am finally on the other side of a week long hibernation.  Tommy preached last Sunday with intervals of having to sit a spell.  My friends told me he was slow moving and anti-social so as to not share any germs that might be lingering.  When he got home, I told him my 'spies' in the service had let me know how weak he was.  He smiled and shook his head.  It isn't gossip - but he goes from zero to sixty mph without any regard for his body's inability to keep up - hence the necessity for spies.  I ordered them to frown and hiss at him when I learned he was staying for a long meeting afterward.
Influenza came and went, leaving its mark on us for sure. Good health is not to be taken for granted - which we do until we lose it for a spell.
We have had no Winter this year, so unlike my seventh grade experience, the green that I see has remained since summer.  Still, my yard begs for flowers, weeding, mulching, and all manner of focused attention.  While I am not yet quite up to the task, it won't be long.
Image result for spring day




No comments:

Post a Comment