This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Stealing Fruit


Bella feeding the birds scraps from her lunch.

God gives to all who ask believing and in accordance with His holy will.  The fruit of God's word is ours if we want it and while we should always be in want of it, so often that is not the case.  Our fruit baskets are empty and are given little regard or attention, because we aren't hungry enough.
How can we gain an appetite for scripture?  By reading it.  How can we gain an appetite for the Lord? By spending time with Him.  When I fell in love with  Tommy, I wanted to be with him all the time. And I wanted him to want to be with me, too.  And he did. I wanted to know all about him.  I was fifteen and he was eighteen. (His history really didn't matter that much. We made our history together.)
God is waiting for His children to quit choosing other activities and choose instead to know Him better. We are supposed to ask Him to help us love Him more...because we are unable to manifest this great love on our own.
Mark 12:28-34  And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, "Which commandment is the most important of all?" Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." And the scribe said to him, "You are right, Teacher. You have truly said that he is one, and there is no other besides him. And to love him with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices." And when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And after that no one dared to ask him any more questions. 
This term 'stealing fruit' took on a different context when I read it recently.  An author likened it to stealing truth and fruitful things from God's word.  Let's covet the truths of His word to the point of grabbing them and owning them at any cost.  It isn't stealing if it is freely offered.
God gives us His word that we might know Him.  That is really all we have.  Taking something that is already mine sounds absurd, but I forget how much I need it and neglect it.  My fruit basket is empty.
Let's open our bibles and steal some fruit.  Our Father wants us to have it.
Romans 6:22  But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. 


Matthew 6:26  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 
Feed on the Word He has given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment