This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Saturday, May 14, 2016

The Man of Sorrows Had a Part

My grandmother kept a little black notebook of quotes - handwritten and random according to author.  I found it in a shoebox the other day.  She had written this to me dated November 15, 1968.  I was fifteen then and probably in need of some encouragement. -
The Christian is not one who has gone all the way with Christ. None of us has.  The Christian is one who has found the right road.  - Charles L. Allen
I now know that I would never have found that road on my own. Christ loved me to it and I am so very grateful that my grandmother demonstrated this great Love to me throughout her life.

Henry Drummond - "Unless a man undertakes more than he can possibly do, he will never do all he can."

"Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done.  God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing." (unknown, at least to her)


Where high the heavenly temple stands,
the house of God not made with hands,
a great High Priest our nature wears,
the Guardian of mankind appears.

He, who for men their surety stood,
and poured on earth his precious blood,
pursues in heaven his mighty plan,
the Savior and the Friend of man.

Though now ascended up on high,
he bends on earth a brother's eye;
partaker of the human name,
he knows the frailty of our frame.

Our fellow-sufferer yet retains
a fellow feeling of our pains;
and still remembers in the skies
his tears, his agonies and cries.

In every pang that rends the heart
the Man of Sorrows had a part;

he sympathizes with our grief,
and to the sufferer sends relief.

With boldness therefore at the throne
let us make all our sorrows known;
and ask the aid of heavenly power
to help us in the evil hour.


Michael Bruce

The words underlined are the only lines of this song she had written in her book.  I just typed them in and these lyrics popped up. How beautiful to be reminded in such a lovely way that Christ has a part in all of the pain we go through. He knows and understands. He lives it with us.
I know I inherited my love of writing and all things creative from my grandmother. Her loving nature and giving spirit came from Christ and I pray those qualities for myself as well. She faithfully read scripture each day without fail. I am thankful for her testimony lived with and without words.

No comments:

Post a Comment