This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Well-Being and Calamity

Isaiah 45:7  I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.
My God creates light and darkness, well-being and calamity.  Praise His holy name for it!  I can know that circumstances do not dictate His Presence and control over all that happens. We may not like it, but either He is God over all or God incomplete.
He is always ruling, always watching.  He never looks away nor does He miss any event.  Our God does not sleep.
Psalm 121:3-4  He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. 
He ordains and allows things...all for His glory and purpose. These are hard statements, but true none the less.  Ephesians 1:22 -23 And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.  
Did He only see when Sarah was giving birth to Isaac and look away when David lost his newborn child?
Did He turn His back on Job who was a righteous man and did Job suffer greatly for no reason?
Is He patient and loving only when we are good?  Does our behavior dictate His grace and mercy? Emphatically no.
There is none good, no not one.  Psalm53:1-3 The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, doing abominable iniquity; there is none who does good. God looks down from heaven on the children of man to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God. They have all fallen away; together they have become corrupt; there is none who does good, not even one. 
All we like sheep have gone astray... Isaiah 53:6   All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Last Sunday was Valentine's Day...you know - the day we give cards to people?  I had a big party planned for my first grade class, but, and a big ALAS, I caught a bug.  Not the creepy crawly kind, except yes, the creepy crawly kind, only inside me.  I was sick all night and unable to attend church. My back-up team (Hannah and Michele) took over and the party was a wonderful success. (happy face goes here, I guess)  Andy taught and all had a blast as I was home 'dying' while wearing the corsage Tommy bought me pinned to my pajama top. Pitiful me. Why this day? I worked so so hard on those handmade valentines with sweet verses on them and suckers attached. (Tommy delivered all the goodies on my behalf, but still.) During my three days of taking it easy, God showed me these verses.  Sometimes I need illustrations like this to learn things.
Man is basically interested in...well, man. Surprising as that may seem, (ahem, cough) we are often our own worst enemies as we think the world should cater to our moods - which are constantly in the process of changing according to what happens in the world around us.
BUT.  What if we began to see that God is in control of everything, and that we are here to do His will, not our own?  What if we acknowledged that God is God, that He alone is good, and that we can trust Him with everything - good and bad?  We must first trust in His Son Jesus as Savior. Why? Because He said so.
John 3:17  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through Him.
John 3:19   And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil.
It's like He said....
Isaiah 45:7  I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment