This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, August 10, 2015

In Hosea and Beyond the Cross




Hosea 7:8   Ephraim mixes himself with the peoples; Ephraim is a cake not turned. (There's that cake again!)
When the Northern Kingdom (Ephraim) broke from Judah, they embraced other peoples along with their gods. They made for themselves a new place of worship, in a more convenient city (Bethel) - not wanting to cross over to Jerusalem in order to make their sacrifices - and they allowed men to be priests who were not from the tribe of Levi.  They ignored God and His commandments and directions.  One sin leads to another, which leads to another, which leads to another until there is only one decision left to be made: Repentance.
1 Kings 13:32 - 34  For the saying that he called out by the word of the LORD against the altar in Bethel and against all the houses of the high places that are in the cities of Samaria shall surely come to pass." After this thing Jeroboam did not turn from his evil way, but made priests for the high places again from among all the people. Any who would, he ordained to be priests of the high places. And this thing became sin to the house of Jeroboam, so as to cut it off and to destroy it from the face of the earth.  
Are we not guilty of the same? Do we not lower the standards God has set in place because it calls for extra effort to do it right? Are there things from which we should abstain? Okay, I just pulled three cookies out my my freezer to munch on, finished those, and went back for more - without a second thought! (Sadly, this is not the first time.  I am a repeat offender.)
We break from what we know is right and choose what is easy, what is 'calling our names', what is popular, what is yummy.  We elevate and serve the god, 'self'.  Our decisions are based on lies that lead us far from what we know is true and right.
It's an undisciplined road that leads to temporary satisfaction.
Hosea 7:14-15  They do not cry to me from the heart, but they wail upon their beds; for grain and wine they gash themselves; they rebel against me. Although I trained and strengthened their arms, yet they devise evil against me. 
As I continue to read the book of Hosea, I see me.  I have been unfaithful, ungrateful, and embraced other loves.  Even on the other side of the cross, the sin is the same and the answer is the same: Repentance.  But I need not make any sacrifices to gain my forgiveness.  Jesus did that for me.  His death was the final and perfect sacrifice to satisfy the wrath of God.
I am not finished with Hosea, but I skipped to the end to show you God's goodness to His people.  He is now and forever will be faithful to His children.
Hosea 14:8-9  O Ephraim, what have I to do with idols? It is I who answer and look after you. I am like an evergreen cypress; from me comes your fruit. Whoever is wise, let him understand these things; whoever is discerning, let him know them; for the ways of the LORD are right, and the upright walk in them, but transgressors stumble in them. 
...and leave those cookies alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment