This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Cakes of Raisins



This is my beloved carrot cake.  The raisins are just ordinary.
Hosea 3:1   And the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by another man and is an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the children of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love cakes of raisins."

I love this cake, but I am not sure He was actually speaking of cakes of raisins when He said  'other gods and love cakes of raisins.'
So, what did He mean?  (Hold on.  I need to look this up.)

One commentary says it this way: the love of flagons of wine. Literally "of grapes," or perhaps more probably, "cakes of grapes" or dried raisins.  Cakes were used in idolatry.  The 'wine' would represent the excess that was common in idolatry.  The cakes denote the sweetness and lusciousness, yet still the dryness caused by seeking anything but God.  Israel despised and rejected the true Vine, Jesus Christ with His works of grace and righteousness, and they 'loved the dried cakes" - the observances of the law - which, apart from Him, were/are dry and worthless.
Got it?  Anything that comes between us and God, be it actual appetites for food, or the hunger that comes from our desires in the flesh - materialism, lust, greed, and power, is a misdirection of our love and praise. (Yes, I think you get it.)

1 Corinthians 6:19-20  Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God?  You are not your own, for you were bought with a price.  So glorify God in your body.
This is not the first time I have read Hosea, but each time, God shows me more and more of His truths and how I need to apply them.  That is the beauty of Scripture.  It reveals the heart every time.
Hebrews 4:12  For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 



No comments:

Post a Comment