This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Waiting On the Leaves

It's early September and though the leaves in south Texas will not turn until early November, I will wait and pretend in the meantime.  I wait every year.  Autumn's colors will arrive as anticipated and leave before I am ready. (I am never ready.)
In their stead, poor substitutes will suffice, inadequate though they be - appearing in odd places throughout my house and remaining until the season is over.  I have been known to shed a tear or two at their passing. Seriously. (Maybe that is an indicator of my maturity level and inability to accept change.)
My love for leaves began in the Fall of 1989 when visiting New England for the first time.  I have never been the same.  Thankfully, this beauty comes annually, though its grandeur is not matched in the deep South.  My memory is not so short it can't recall my breath being snatched from me at the sight of God's design for color in nature.  Its magnificence is forever in my heart. Pictures are unable to portray full splendor, but they do a pretty good job for me.
Inside this book are numerous
leaves I have collected and
preserved inside waxed pages.
 


And sometimes an artist will capture
the season just perfectly...for posterity.

2 comments:

  1. This post made me smile. :) I know how much you love fall. Even though TX's fall leaves aren't as good as New England's, they're still better than California's! :)
    -Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Cheryl! New England is like a whole different country in the Fall! A must see!! If you ever get a chance, go. We stayed in Kennebunkport and did the back roads thing. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete