This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Set A Guard...or Tick a Lock

Psalm 141:3  Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips! 

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just shut a door and lock it when the unwanted approach?  I don't mean people, I mean anything that might bring out the worst in us...and we do have a worst in us. Barney Fife of Mayberry used to say, "Tick a lock," meaning he would keep a secret...though I'm not sure he ever did.
My grandmother used to pray this verse every morning : "Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!"  She was a faithful believer and loved the Lord Jesus and His word. I had an excellent example in my life.  (You can read about Bessie in the post by that title.)
I have a loud laugh and have been told, "I heard you laughing" in a crowded room many times.  I have repeated things I shouldn't, and lied, and I have a sarcastic tongue.  I have whined and complained...and then complained about whining.  I've also boasted and criticized.  All of these things make me a great candidate for taking this scripture to heart.  Even when my mouth is silent, my thoughts need taming.
O Lord Jesus, set a guard against the door of my lips and may my words, my thoughts and my heart's intentions always be for your glory alone.
Luke 6:45   The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment