This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

How Would You Respond?

My lesson this week was on the Lord's Supper, the betrayal of Christ, and the ways people responded to Him.  I teach first and second graders...many of whom know God's word very well - (though they often mix truth with television's version of the Bible). Hmm.
When Jesus visited the house of Simon the leper, Mary came and anointed His head and feet with expensive perfume and then wiped His feet with her hair.  (Matt. 26, Mark 14, John 12)  The perfume was worth a year's wages. How costly and precious.  How Mary must have loved her Savior!
It was Passover week, and the scribes, elders, and chief priests were intent on arresting Christ, but they feared the large number of His followers that filled Jerusalem at this time.  Still, it is God who ordains the timing of all that comes to pass, isn't it?
They chose the darkness of night, so that no one would disrupt the arrest.  (Sinful deeds are often done in the shadows, aren't they?)  As Jesus prayed in Gethsemane's Garden, almost a thousand people (six hundred of them soldiers!) were gathering to see Him betrayed and taken away.  A simple kiss did it...and God allowed it.  This one who followed Him, saw the miracles, and heard the truths chose to sell Him out for thirty pieces of silver: the price of a slave.  Judas the disciple became Judas the betrayer.
When Jesus was taken away, the disciples fled in fear.
Zechariah 13:7  "Strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered..."  They must have feared for their lives - being followers who also saw the miracles and heard the truths and loved Him.

The religious leaders rejected Jesus.
Judas betrayed Him.
The disciples ran from Him, for fear of being imprisoned as well.
But Mary loved Him, openly, unashamedly, with humility.  She just loved Him.
Rejection, betrayal, fear, love.
Which applies to you?

Monday morning came and I don't know about you, but daylight savings has me reluctant to rise.  As I sat down to do my studies, I received a text from a mom whose son is in my class.  She said, "My son wants to know how to love Jesus."
My spirit was lifted. I texted back, 'Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments." '
A perfect start...for my week and his little heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment